Petrified Wood Slice 10"x 13.25"
Petrified wood slice whole round. This fossil is so well preserved that one may not realize that it is a fossil until they try to pick it up. 200 - million years ago groundwater containing solutions rich in minerals penetrated a fallen tree replacing the plant material with minerals then became petrified into stone. Making this fossil a very showy and semiprecious gemstone version of a once living tree. Shop>Sedona
10” x 13.25” x 4” to 3”
Weight: 28 lbs.
More about petrified wood
1. Petrified “Rainbow” Wood ~ Arizona’s State Fossil
2. Oldest trees on Earth due to petrifaction (225-180mya)
3. Named after Arizona - Araucarioxylon Arizonicum
4. Museum preparation - natural bark preserved around entire outer edge.
5. Cut and polished by artisan with expensive diamond encrusted lapidary tooling.
6. Collected on a few private ranches.
7. Most vibrant colored PW specimens found underground, not exposed to elements and erosion.
8. Mohs hardness of 7 due to its quartz composition.